Habaraduwa-Koggala Villa 1372
This villa is located in: Habaraduwa-Koggala, Sri LankaClick to see bigger map
- Air Conditioning
- Maid Service
- Personal Chef
- Daily Breakfast
Situated majestically on a flourishing hillock bathed in rich vegetation, Villa 1372 is a tranquil five-bedroom hideaway that’s just five minutes inland from the beach at Koggala on Sri Lanka’s golden southern coast.
Wide, pillared verandas, cool wrap-around balconies, arched doorways and lofty beamed ceilings characterise this serene Dutch colonial-style villa which was unmistakably designed for relaxation.
Villa 1372’s tranquility is further enhanced by a garden bursting with birdsong and enlivened by visits from inquisitive monkeys high up in the trees. The house is fully staffed and comes with a turquoise swimming pool with lounging ledge, a wireless internet connection, an air-conditioned TV Room and a fully-equipped kitchen.
About Villa 1372
As the driveway winds its way up through ever-increasing jungle to the top of a verdant hillock just inland from the coast at Koggala you know you’re going to be in for a treat once you reach the summit. Slowly emerging through billowing vegetation resonating with vivacious birdcall you’re greeted at the top by a statuesque building fringed by crimson heliconia that sensationally frames the gorgeous garden views.
Rising up taller than the building itself, trees lift their leafy branches towards the sky and provide a playground for the monkeys that visit every morning and night, keen to meet their human neighbours. Below, the two-acre garden completely encircles the five-bedroomed house and envelopes the swimming pool, rising up finally towards a rocky outcrop that’s perfectly placed for surveying the scene.
Villa 1372 in Sinhalese means ‘hill of worship’: the property’s natural setting is indeed a temple of relaxation and serenity, and its graceful interiors an inner sanctum of calm. Even the most overworked minds will be eased gently into a state of renewal in no time at all, assisted along the way by a staff team intent on making you feel very much at home.
Villa 1372 is perfect for families and groups seeking a secluded base close to Galle. Lie back on the shallow pool ledge and let your worries drift away under the meditative gaze of the elephant god Ganesh, or find your own peaceful hideaway in one of the trio of furnished alcoves within the expansive wrap-around balcony upstairs.
- Located on the ground floor
- This room is interconnected to Bedroom 2, making these rooms an ideal family suite
- Super king-size bed draped in mosquito netting
- Lush garden views
- Furnished with wardrobe and sofa
- Ensuite with hot water shower and bathtub
- Located on the ground floor interconnected to master bedroom
- Queen-size four-poster bed draped in mosquito netting
- Lush garden views
- Ensuite bathroom with hot water shower
First Floor Bedrooms
- Three air-conditioned bedrooms are located on the first floor
- Four-poster beds
- Encircled by shady balcony
- Light and airy with arched doors framing serene garden views
- With twin sinks and hot water showers
Living and dining
Generously spilling onto the front veranda through multiple sets of elegantly arched doorways, the living room is a haven of peace and tranquility. Furnished with a deeply cushioned sofa, the living room also features a pair of day beds that languish either side of a glass-topped coffee table and a table for four that sits to the far side of the room admiring the garden views.
Kitchen and dining
Separated from the living room by a low wall is an intimate fan-cooled dining room with marble-topped table for eight that’s beautifully laid for sumptuous mealtimes. A second dining area is found on the back veranda beside the swimming pool where a hexagonal table for six is ideal for relaxed daytime dining. The kitchen is fully-equipped for the western cook.
This intimate air conditioned room is designed to provide you with the utmost comfort as you curl up to watch a movie, catch up on world news or simply succumb to the worn pages of a favourite book. Built-in sofa seating on three sides, topped with thick mattresses and cushions, face a timber cabinet containing a generous 42-inch-screen TV with satellite connection and DVD player.
Beside the swimming pool is a veranda furnished with sun loungers for topping up your tan under the warm tropical sun. To the far side of the swimming pool, across the top of a waterfall feature, is a small circular table in a verdant jungle setting. Stone steps just behind here lead up to the highest rocky outcrop where a built-in seat is designed for quiet moments.
- Villa Supervisor (who lives offsite) is in charge of overall villa operations, including staffing, special requests, transport requirements and guest satisfaction. She will drop into the villa on request and may be contacted 24 hours a day
- The villa’s qualified chef is well-versed in local and international cuisine. He prepares daily breakfast, lunch and dinner, and will do his best to accommodate special requests or dietary requirements.
- Service staff Our team of staff discreetly keeps the villa clean and tidy whilst ensuring guests have everything they need.
- Our Gardener tends the two-acre garden daily, and maintains the swimming pool.
- Trained Security guards keep the villa safe and secure 24 hours a day.
During your stay at Villa 1372, savour the delights of Sri Lankan and Western cuisine freshly cooked by our villa staff. On the menu for breakfast is always a profusion of fresh tropical fruit whilst the villa’s setting just minutes from the island’s bountiful coastline means that seafood and fish are available in abundance. Light bites for lunch include soups, salads and sandwiches whilst for dinner we’ll indulge you with a sensational Sri Lankan rice and curry spread that’s guaranteed to be a talking point long after your departure.
On your arrival at the villa, a short discussion with our cook will give you an idea of the range of dishes on offer, and we recommend you liaise with him after breakfast every day regarding your meal arrangements to allow the staff time to provision and prepare. Please also let the staff know of your likes and dislikes, special dietary requirements and allergies. You are welcome to self-cater if you would prefer; our staff will assist you in the kitchen or leave you to your own devices, whichever suits you best.
Food and beverage charges
Breakfast is included in the villa rate whilst for all other meals the villa operates a kitty system. We ask that you provide a float for the staff who will then purchase all of the provisions – including soft drinks, beer and local spirits – at cost price with a small charge for transport. Receipts will be provided either daily or at the end of your stay according to your wishes. A small selection of wine and international liquor can be bought locally, however if you have any favourites we recommend that you purchase them from the arrivals duty free at the airport to bring them with you.
A driver and car can be arranged with advance notice for airport transfers, local tours and onward travel.
Villa 1372’s privacy, delightfully relaxed ambiance and generous outdoor space make it a wonderful place for hosting informal drinks gatherings and dinner parties of up to 25 people. Contact us to learn more about what we can offer and how we can assist you in organising your special event.
If you’re in need of some pampering, and don’t wish to leave the privacy and serenity of the house, our staff will arrange for a trained masseur to come to the property at a prearranged time at your request.
Villa 1372 sits on the top of a jungly hillock near Koggala, encircled at the bottom - almost invisibly - by local village homes that appear to blend into the rich green tapestry of vegetation. Famous for accommodating the celebrated Sri Lankan author, Martin Wickramasinghe (who has an interesting museum dedicated to him in town), Koggala has a fine stretch of beach and is renowned for its enchanting lagoon. Here, rich jungle surrounding its meandering expanse spills onto a still surface traversed by fishermen leaving nothing but soft ripples in their wake. A boat ride past spice gardens, bird-filled islands and Buddhist temples is the best way to familiarise yourself with these sensational surroundings and witness the unique lakeside life.
- Location: Koggala, South Coast, Sri Lanka.
- Neighbourhood: Koggala Lake and Beach 2.5km; Galle 15km.
- Capacity:10 people [1 master suite; 3 king bedrooms; 1 queen bedroom].
- Living areas:Spacious fully-furnished sitting room; indoor dining for 8; outdoor dining on rear verandah for 6; air-conditioned TV lounge.
- Pool: Dimensions are 7 x 10 m.
- Staff:Villa manager (offsite), maid, cook and houseboys (masseuse and babysitter on request at additional charge).
- Dining:Basic western dishes and Sri Lankan cuisine. Requests accommodated (including special diets); no menus; kitty system for all food and drinks; (staff in charge of shopping).
- Communication: WiFi broadband internet access; landline telephone for local calls.
- Entertainment: 42-inch flat-screen TV with satellite connection; iPod adaptor; DVD player; stereo with CD player; books and board games.
About Sri Lanka
The teardrop-shaped island of Sri Lanka is diverse, enchanting and mysterious. Famed for its picture-perfect palm-fringed beaches, its lush rainforest, its misty mountains, its tea-carpeted hillsides and its arid rock-strewn plains, Sri Lanka offers something for everyone.
The island has a rich history and many visitors are drawn as much by the world heritage cities, the fascinating temples and the stunning legacies of the European colonialists as they are by the island’s tranquil, predominantly Buddhist, way of life.
Wildlife is another huge draw since Sri Lanka’s many national parks and reserves are home to abundant flora and fauna including leopards, elephants, bears, crocodiles and birds whilst out at sea it’s possible to see turtles, whales and dolphins all in the wild.
Sri Lanka has numerous beaches where water sports such as swimming, snorkeling and diving can all be enjoyed as well as plenty of meandering rivers and expansive lakes that are particularly beautiful to explore at sunset.
The island has many antiques shops, chic boutiques and handicrafts stores plus lots of excellent spas, many of which practice the ancient Indian system of Ayurveda. Restaurants serve a range of international cuisine predominated by fresh seafood as well as the island’s own fiery specialties.
Sri Lanka’s climate varies from region to region and is governed by two opposing monsoon seasons. From November until April the tropical southwest region and hill country enjoy their driest periods with hot sunny days and balmy nights accompanied by infrequent rain showers. Between these dates comes the monsoon period which sees a lot more rainfall but rarely full days of overcast skies; May, June and October are typically the wettest months in the south west.
For the north and east of the island the pattern is reversed, however since these areas are arid much less rainfall falls during the monsoon season compared to other parts of the island. The Hill Country, although affected by the south west monsoon, typically sees a lot more rainfall throughout the year due to its elevation, with January to March seeing the freshest weather where nights may even be cold enough for a log fire. Humidity tends to be worse at the onset of the monsoon.
Things to do
- Head to Koggala Beach for a long walk along its seemingly endless golden sand. Take a late afternoon boat trip atop the glorious Koggala Lagoon to look for birds, visit spice gardens, watch fishermen and experience the sun setting over the water whilst slowly meandering this picturesque waterway.
- The late Martin Wickramasinghe, a famous Sri Lankan author, was once a resident of Koggala. You can now visit his old home in town which has been made into an interesting folk museum.
- Also in Koggala is a turtle hatchery that the kids will love. For a small fee you can admire the resident turtles and even watch as the hatchlings are released into the sea.
- Visit Unawatuna Bay for a relaxing bathe on a curve of milky white beach. Many rustic restaurants, coffee shops and bars can all be found here and they all offer a little diversion from the irresistible draw of the warm turquoise sea.
- Experience the living museum that is Galle Fort by taking a relaxing wander around the charming backstreets of this UNESCO listed fortress; stop and chat with locals, admire the fort’s many heritage buildings, visit the growing collection of boutiques and finish off by watching life playing out on top of the ramparts at sunset.
- Take a trip into Galle town to take in the multi-sensorial spectacle of the fish, fruit and vegetable markets and browse the colourful roadside wares of peddlers on its buzzing Main Street.
- Embark on a scenic bicycle ride through the emerald green paddy fields of Galle’s hinterland with Idle Tours. Enjoy the ride at your own pace and gain a unique perspective of village life. End up at the beach with a glorious cool down swim.
- Yatagala Temple, just inland from Unawatuna, is an ancient Buddhist temple that’s best visited on a full moon holiday when white clothed devotees flock here clutching prayer flags and bunches of flowers.
- Around 10 minutes’ drive from Pooja Kanda is a tea factory, whose tea leaves are the closest of any in Sri Lanka to the sea. Handunugoda Tea Factory is not only famous for its black tea but also for its white tea which is some of the world’s most expensive. Any tour of the factory includes a tea tasting session and a slice of homemade cake.
- Go whale watching! Just a half hour drive from Pooja Kanda takes you to Mirissa where boats depart every morning during the season (November until April) for whale and dolphin spotting tours.
- Eat out! Excellent local restaurants include the luxurious Fortress Hotel, the homely Italian-owned Why Beach and the newly opened Kamal’s Place Restaurant and Bar in Talpe. Wijeya Beach Restaurant, near Unawatuna, is a popular spot with expats and sports a rooftop bar designed for savouring spectacular sundowners over the sea.
3 Bedrooms | USD $345 per night - USD $750 per night +10.0% Tax
|Low||Sep 1, 2023 - Nov 30, 2023||USD $345 per night||2 nights min|
|High||Dec 1, 2023 - Dec 19, 2023||USD $420 per night||3 nights min|
|Peak||Dec 20, 2023 - Jan 3, 2024||USD $750 per night||5 nights min|
|High||Jul 1, 2024 - Aug 31, 2024||USD $420 per night||3 nights min|
5 Bedrooms | USD $490 per night - USD $750 per night +10.0% Tax
|Low||Sep 1, 2023 - Nov 30, 2023||USD $490 per night||2 nights min|
|High||Dec 1, 2023 - Dec 19, 2023||USD $595 per night||3 nights min|
|Peak||Dec 20, 2023 - Jan 3, 2024||USD $750 per night||5 nights min|
|High||Jul 1, 2024 - Aug 31, 2024||USD $595 per night||3 nights min|
An additional tax of 10.0% will be applied.